Even though Google Apps is no longer free, we started looking for a way to still be able to setup a free Google Apps Standard account to use the Google SMTP email servers, to send email and forms for new client website designs when needed.
Here is what we have found as an alternate way to do this:
- Head over to the Google App Engine site and sign in using a basic Google Gmail Account, like email@example.com.
- Then Click Create Application then fill in the Application Identifier, something like (fastcarsapp) note the ending in “app” for some reason when I tried without ending in “app” and clicked Check Availability, it would not work. Now fill in Application Title and click to accept the terms and conditions, other data is unnecessary, then click the Create Application Button at the bottom.
- Now Click the Dashboard Link to open the Dashboard, then click Application Settings Link, under the Administration area on the left side, toward the bottom.
- Once your in Application Settings, scroll down and select “Add Domain” to add the domain your setting up with the App Engine.
- You should see a link marked “Sign Up for Google Apps Standard“, this should open a screen for signing up for a free one user account, just follow the steps to activate your new Google Apps standard account.
Until next time,